What Publishers Should Learn From Halo 5

I've been watching a few youtube videos and reading comments and some seem to give Halo 5 a pretty bad rap for featuring microtransactions. Now it's perfectly understandable that consumers don't want feel like they're being milked, but many seem to gloss over one very important detail which is that the DLC is FREE. Now I get that in a perfect world there would be no added expense beyond purchase of your 60$ game, but games are expensive and have been growing in expense, so I find it pretty reasonable for companies to try to make back a bit of money through either DLC or microtransactions even though I do think 50$ for a season pass is too exorbitant. Notice the keyword in that sentence is "OR," charging consumers on two fronts with both DLC and microtransactions in my personal opinion is the greatest taboo of any publisher; looking at you Activision.

I personally think 343i and Microsoft deserve a bit more kudos than they've gotten for this decision. Sure we don't like microtransactions, but free DLC makes it a very good compromise. Even with that said the REQ packs in game are reasonably attainable in game and they only serve cosmetic purposes for one mode in the game. Again in a perfect world we would be charged for nothing beyond the point of purchase, but I think Halo 5 offers up the best and most realisitic solution for consumers and publishers putting tons of money into the development of these games. Now some might bring up this is nothing new or some developers have never charged for both, but the industry is always changing and it could enter into a scary place and MS is one of the bigger publishers to outright drop charging for DLC in favor of microtransactions which I think is a first if memory serves. Of course the other motive is to avoid disjointing the community on Halo 5's multiplayer which Halo being MS's biggest franchise would be bad for them when there are so many other competitors in the space, but still something I think would be great for publishers to follow so I hope it works out well for them in terms of popularity and financially. The industry's approach should be DLC(reasonably priced DLC) or microtransactions(but nothing too game changing), but never both.

news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news
news