If you’re getting a new Nintendo Switch or you want to play your Pokémon Scarlet and Violet save file on a different console, you’ll need to transfer the save data (the same way you do for most Nintendo Switch games).
Here’s how to transfer your save data for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet:
- Press X on the Pokémon game from the Nintendo Switch home screen on both consoles.
- Select “Manage Software” on both consoles.
- Select “Transfer Your Save Data” on both consoles.
- Select “Send Save Data to Another Console” on the console that you’re moving the save data off of and select “Receive Save Data” on the Switch that you’re moving the save data to.
- On the Switch with the save data, select the user that has the save, and select the respective game. Then hit “Send Save Data.”
- Keep the two Nintendo Switch consoles next to each other while the save data transfers.
- You’re done!
Pokémon Scarlet and Violet does not support cloud saves. (In fact, none of the Nintendo Switch Pokémon games do.) This means you can only have your save on one console at a time, so if you like to play on a Switch Lite when you’re away from home and an OLED Switch on the TV, you will have to keep transferring the data back and forth between the consoles using the above method.
Just starting out
- 10 things to know before starting Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Scarlet and Violet
- Which Scarlet and Violet starter is the best?
- Type strength and weakness chart
- Tera Types, explained
- Badge order and progression guide
- Everything you should know about Koraidon and Miraidon
- Why you should take Academy classes
- How to change your Pokémon’s names
- How Pokémon Scarlet and Violet’s multiplayer works (and doesn’t)
- How to get mystery gifts in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
- How to easily shiny hunt
- The definitive guide to Tera Raids
- Can you Nuzlocke Scarlet and Violet?
- Victory Road (gyms, Elite Four, and Champion) 11
- Starfall Street & Path of Legends 7
Filling out your Pokédex
- Complete regional Paldea Pokédex
- Pokémon Violet and Scarlet version exclusives list
- Link trade codes for starter and version exclusive Pokémon
- How to find shiny Pokémon
- Where to find Eevee
- Where to find Zorua
- Where to find Ditto
- How to get Paradox Pokémon
- Chi-Yu shrine and stake (blue) locations
- Ting-Lu shrine and stake (yellow/green) locations
- Chien-Pao shrine and stake (orange/gold) locations
- Wo-Chien shrine and stake (purple) locations
- How to transfer Pokémon between Scarlet and Violet and Home
- Pokémon Scarlet and Violet special evolutions guide
- How to evolve Tandemaus into Maushold
- How to evolve Pawmo into Pawmot
- How to evolve Charcadet into Amarouge/Ceruledge
- How to evolve Girafarig into Farigiraf
- How to evolve Greavard into Houndstone
- How to evolve Dunsparce into Dudunsparce
- How to evolve Rellor into Rabsca
- How to evolve Bisharp into Kingambit
- How to evolve Bramblin into Brambleghast
- How to evolve Finizen into Palafin
- How to evolve Primeape into Annihilape
- How to evolve Gimmighoul into Gholdengo
Training powerful Pokémon
- Full TM list, locations, and crafting recipes
- Where to find hold items (Destiny Knot, Leftovers, etc.)
- Eggs and breeding
- How to change a Pokémon’s Tera Type
- How to make the best sandwiches
- How to farm EXP and EXP Candy
- How to farm money
- Full sandwich and ingredient list
- How to relearn old moves
- How to raise IVs (Individual Values)
- How to train EVs (Effort Values)
- How to change natures
The Teal Mask DLC Guides
- Complete Kitakami Pokédex
- How to catch Ogerpon, and what its masks mean
- How to get the ‘Loyal Three’ Pokémon: Okidogi, Munkidori, and Fezandipiti
- How to get Bloodmoon Ursaluna
- What is a ‘lovey-dovey’ Pokémon?
- Ogre Clan member locations
- How to evolve Feebas into Milotic
- How to evolve Poltchageist into Sinistcha
- How to evolve Applin into Dipplin
- How to evolve Basculin into Basculegion
- How to evolve Gurdurr into Conkeldurr
- How to evolve Gligar into Gliscor
- How to evolve Poliwhirl
- How to evolve Lampent into Chandelure
- How to evolve Piloswine into Mamoswine
- How to evolve Phantump into Trevenant
Sign up for the newsletter Patch Notes
A weekly roundup of the best things from Polygon