If you still don’t know whether to get Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield, maybe this list of confirmed exclusive Pokémon will help you out.
Note that this means that if you get one version, you cannot get the Pokémon from the other version without trading. So if your favorite Pokémon is a Sword exclusive, you probably want to pick up Sword.
Here is a list of the version exclusives for each game that we know so far:
- Deino, Zweilous, Hydreigon
- Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o
- Farfetch’d, Sirfetch’d
- Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle
- Rufflet, Braviary
- Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry
- Swirlix, Slurpuff
- Scraggy, Scrafty
- Basculin (red-stripe)
- Darumaka, Darmanitan
- Indeedee (male)
Pokémon Sword has the fighting-type gym leader, Bea, and the rock-type gym leader, Gordie.
- Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar
- Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra
- Galarian Ponyta, Rapidash
- Solosis, Duosion, Reuniclus
- Vullaby, Mandibuzz
- Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo
- Spritzee, Aromatisse
- Croagunk, Toxicroak
- Basculin (blue stripe)
- Corsola, Cursola
- Indeedee (female)
Pokémon Shield has the ghost-type gym leader, Allister, and the ice-type gym leader, Melony.
- Gigantamax Meowth — Mystery Gift option in-game before Jan. 15, 2020
These Pokémon require having save files from other games in order to obtain:
- Gigantamax Pikachu — Let’s Go, Pikachu!
- Gigantamax Eevee — Let’s Go, Eevee!
Vox Media has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy.